Last Updated on
I know exactly what you are searching by the term, ‘best backpacking tent under 100’. Definitely you want to find out the lightweight, durable yet affordable and of course the most comfortable & best-looking tent for yourself. Isn’t it? Huh!
And right now, you are totally confused after wandering a little while on the numerous online marketplaces. Why not, there are lots of options and too many parameters to check back for the best selection. Believe me, I faced it the same way difficult, while finding a low budget tent for my backpacking tour. Still wanted to pick up the ‘best’, in a sense ‘that fits maximum’ to all the requirements I made myself for the backpacking tent adventure.
So, you also need to have something in your mind, which you should not compromise while finding the perfect tent for yourself. Maybe you should concern about its weight, capacity, style, comfort, safety, weather issues, price, or even user feedback for the specific product.
Okay, I’m not leaving you alone for that hurdle. Here is my little help to suggest you only a few and definitely the best backpacking tents under 100 dollars. You just need to pick one that suits best for you.
Backpacking Tents Under $100
Features & Specifications:
- The tent has a free-standing two-pole (7000 series aluminum) design
- Easy to assemble with pole clips
- UV damage protected with 1500mm coating
- The poly taffeta floor with 2000mm coating is best for weather protection
- The only door and vestibule have extra-large (#8) Zippers
- Its half mesh walls are great for ventilation
- weight: 3 lbs. 8 oz. & size: 6″ x 17.5″ is perfect for carrying on your back
- Storage pockets, aluminum stakes, gear loft, and guy ropes are included
If you are looking for a single person tent, then ‘ALPS Mountaineering Lynx’ is probably by far the best choice in the market. The reputed Alps brand has been proven over time for its superior quality backpacking tents. And most of all they are very much in an affordable range.
I personally used this lightweight, easy to set up a tent for my backpacking trip to Appalachian Trail.
Surprisingly, the freestanding 2-pole design provides enough relaxing space for one person. The upper body is made of mesh, which is good for ventilation. And the bottom floor is prepared with sealed fabric, which is very essential for weather coating. You can also comfortably access the large D shaped door for entrance.
You will not face any problem to set up the tent quickly & easily. It has featured clips that can quickly snap over the tent poles. The three-season ready vestibule is waterproof and the fly is also factory sealed. You don’t need to worry about your skin either. The 75D 185T polyester fly can perfectly prevent ultraviolet damage.
In spite of all these excellent features, the ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 1-Person Tent has a very low price to offer. But don’t mistake by doubting its build quality. You will surely get to know its worth after experiencing a very good & memorable trip with this companion.
The tent is highly recommended as it has almost everything to offer under the tag – best backpacking tent under 100 dollars.
- Easy to set up
- Freestanding, no poles inside
- Lightweight and portable
- Waterproof & UV resistant
- Excellent ventilation
- Affordable low price
- Relatively small rain fly
- No footprint
- Tight quarters
Features & specifications:
- Freestanding two-pole design, easy to assemble
- Poles are made of lightweight fiberglass, which is light, strong and durable
- It has two vestibules with 2 doors each
- Factory sealed fly and poly taffeta floor seams provide protection against rain, wind, and UV damage
- Mesh roof and mesh windows support great ventilation
- The tent is equipped with large #8 size zippers
- Mesh storage pockets, gear loft, guy ropes, and aluminum stakes are included with the package
The ALPS Mountaineering Taurus is a reliable tent for two person backpacking team. Its total weight 7lb is a little higher than the others but also supports more difficult weather. If you want to move light, still with full features, then this two-season ready backpacking tent is the perfect choice in 2018.
There are two vestibule containers for storing your important items and gadgets. The shock-corded fiberglass poles are lightweight but very strong and durable for the purpose. It has a factory sealed 75D 185T polyester fly with 1500mm coating. And the floor seams are ready with 75D 185T poly taffeta. Both these features ensure excellent protection against heavy rain, wind, and UV light.
The most amazing thing is it’s two doors, single zip operation accessibility. Again, its fly and windows are made of mesh, which provides great ventilation inside the tent. You can in fact easily extend the waterproof end walls halfway up the tent. The manufacturers’ promotion especially assures that the side vents will not zip up.
- Resilient in heavy rain and wind
- Contains 2 vestibules for 2 people
- 2-pole freestanding dome design
- Great ventilation, UV protection
- Easy assembly, comfortable entrance
- Little heavier for backpacking
- Bottom could rip
Features & Specifications:
- Unique design, reasonable price, most compact solo tent
- Fast assembly technology for a Bivy-style tent
- Nylon pole sleeves help to set up and stability
- Provides two-way entry accommodations
- The frame is made of 6.3mm shock-corded & durable fiberglass
- The tent has one attached full coverage fly
- The zipper in the mesh roof provides easy entry & ventilation
- There are two storage pockets and a flashlight loop included
As the name implies, this is the one best backpacking tent under 100 for solo hikers only. You can set up the Bivy-style pack within minutes. And its very lightweight (3lb), dedicated for long trekking adventures.
The tent has a double wall design, which consists of an inner mesh tent. There is an added zipper at the center of the tent which allows the amazing top roof entry. You can also find another entry in the tents back to make the most out of the weather. Experienced Users recommend this feature as very comfortable to use and sleep in.
No wonder that the solitaire tunnel design can handle serious wind. But remember, if you can’t roll back the front vestibule fly, then it can make you feel cramped inside. And be careful with the hooped fiberglass poles, which are prone to breaking if handled roughly. And if possible, please find the available ‘aluminum pole’ version of this tent.
- Full coverage fly
- Mesh roof ventilation
- Compact & lightweight
- Organizable storage access
- Easy to set up
- Affordable low price
- It’s not freestanding
- Vulnerable fiberglass poles
Features & Specifications:
- Its welded floor and inverted seams are great against water
- The full-length fly provides rain protection
- Polyester fly and wall fabrics are good for UV resistance
- You can just set up in about 10 minutes with its snag-free, continuous pole sleeves
- The covered vestibule & mesh interior ensure dry ventilation inside
- The side door is large enough for quick entry
- Carry bag & storage pockets are included, so that to keep things organized
This is another strongly constructed, unique design backpacking tent in the market. The lightweight design is easy to carry as it packs down very small in size. After a long hike, you and your partner will definitely feel protected and comfortable inside this lovely tent. You can also set up your tent very quickly with the snag-free continuous pole sleeve.
The Coleman Hooligan tent has a patented ‘Weathertech System’, which is exclusively dedicated for water protection. So, you don’t need to worry about camping under the rain anymore. Its welded floor and inverted seams are very effective to help you keep dry.
There’s enough room for two persons to stretch out comfortably. The full mesh interior can support dramatic air circulation for both its companions. And the storage pocket can help you to keep things organized.
- Very dry and sturdy in storms
- Easy to set up, lightweight
- Packs very small
- 4 seasons ready
- Great ventilation
- Organized storage
- Full coverage rain fly
- Not freestanding
Features & specifications:
- The tent has excellent WeatherTec System with welded floors and inverted seams, which is waterproof
- Provides easy setup with snag-free, continuous pole sleeves
- You can set up the dome design 4-person tent within only 15 minutes maximum
- Two windows and ground vent are great for increased ventilation
- You can easily Control airflow with adjustable ‘Variflo’ ventilation
- There is an E-port that allows to bring in electrical power inside the tent
- It’s made of ‘Polyguard™ fabric’, which is essential for durable long lasting
- 10 stakes, 3 shock-corded fiberglass poles, rain fly, welcome mat, and an expandable carry bag is included
Coleman is a very popular and trustworthy name in the hiking and camping world. You can just blindly rely on their every product and use comfortably. The freestanding Sundome 4-person tent is not any different. You don’t need to find suitable ground, just pitch it on any terrain you may like.
This is another compact yet spacious tent from the Coleman company. Setup is really simple and quick with snag-free, continuous pole sleeves. It is actually described as a 3-season ready tent, though I’d prefer as a summer one. The welded floor and inverted seams will help you keep dry even on the rainy days of your outing. There are options so that you can control air flow inside the tent with adjustable ‘Variflo’ ventilation. Moreover, you can power up your electric devices as it features an E-access port inside.
Actually, you can consider this simple design portable tent recommended for occasional family camping tours. This a very perfect an initial version of family backpacking tents. But if you are planning for a heavy use throughout the year, better of buying a more expensive & better built one.
- Incredibly affordable price
- Quick setup, easy takedown
- Lightweight, freestanding, waterproof
- Well organized storage
- Excellent ventilation
- Spacious and long lasting
- Electric access port
- The rain fly is not long enough
- Fiberglass poles are relatively small
- Low headroom
Features & specifications:
- You can just set up the tent in about 60 seconds, quicker than almost all others
- There are pre-attached poles, you need to extend and secure for simpler construction
- Impressive waterproof management with Coleman’s patented WeatherTec™ system
- The Rugged, Polyguard 2X™ double-thick fabric assures your safety while camping
- One of the most durable options available in the market
- Measures 8 x 7 feet with a 4-foot 11-inch center height
- You can easily tear away the rip strip with expandable carry bag provided
This is one of my favorite from the reputed Coleman company. As the name implies, this a very quick setup backpacking tent out there in the market. Because of the pre-attached poles, you can construct the whole thing within a minute only. It’s easy to unfold as well.
Coleman instant cabin also comes with their patented ‘Weathertech System’ that assures well protected against rain and water. Welded floor and inverted seams are strong enough to keep you dry even in heavy rain.
Inside the tent, there is space for a queen-sized airbed. And the two storage pockets can help you to keep small hiking gears organized. So, this tent is the perfect solution for your next backing trip anytime for a four-person strong team.
- Quick & simpler setup
- Integrated rainfly
- Spacious interior
- Waterproof, durable
- Great for car camping
- Organized storage facility
- Heavier for backpacking
- Smaller than it looks
Features & Specifications:
- The tent offers compact folding poles, which are great for backpacking
- Ready for three seasons and two persons
- Color-coded clips, gear loft loops, and fly attachment are included
- Its wall material is 68D Polyester, 40D No-See-Um Mesh & floor material is 68D Nylon, 1800 mm, good for durability & ventilation
- You can set up this tent alone, as it comes with a freestanding technology
- There are an easy entry D door and an internal storage pocket
- The lightweight backpacking tent provides a 10 sq. ft. of vestibule space
- It has strong seam taped construction
If you are looking a for a tent that is light on the back and budget, then ‘Kelty Salida 2-person tent’ can be your perfect choice. It will enhance your backpacking trip with its sturdy components & easy setup smart design. The features provided with this package are normally found in high price tents out there in the market.
The ideal 2-person, 3-season tent has a freestanding design with ‘DAC Pressfit’ poles. And also, the color-coded clips construction makes it easy as much to set up within a minute. Furthermore, you will find the vestibules & storage pockets enough spacious to organize your necessary gears. The tent comes with a Rolltop cube carry bag that includes gear lofts and fly attachments.
So, this lightweight backpacking tent is highly recommended for you, who is finding 2-person but easy to carry the outfit. In fact, it suits fare well for single backpacker occasionally. But there is plenty of space for two people to sleep comfortably inside the Kelty Salida 2-person backpacking tent.
- Lightweight, compact folding poles
- Freestanding, color-coded clips
- Easy entry D door
- Mesh wall, great ventilation
- Gear loft loops, storage pockets
- Fully seam taped construction
- Only one door & one vestibule
- Little heavier than promoted
Features & Specifications:
- It is a 3-person, 3-pole Penta-dome tent that offers removable fly
- The shock-corded fiberglass frame is easy to set up quickly
- The third pole will extend a vestibule for gear storage & weather protection
- Integrated mud mat drainage helps to keep your tent clean
- It comes with 2 mesh windows & a D style front door for excellent ventilation
- The tent package includes steel stakes, hanging pockets, gear lofts, and storage duffel
The Wenzel Alpine 3 Person Tent offers those features of a tent that can cost at least three times more than this. Though it is described as a 3-person tent but is more suitable for two adults. But you can easily afford a third one with just a little tighten space for stowing gear.
The three-pole construction design is too easy to set up. If you haven’t ever done that work, the pole pockets are here to assist you with a simple quick assembly of the beautiful tent. Its high-quality welded polyethylene floor will definitely protect you from light rain and light wind. But the charming feature is the attached floor mat drainage, which is very essential to keep your tent clean.
There is a large D shaped door with smooth Zippers. It will really exceed your expectation at this reasonable price range. Finally, the tent attracts most for its lightweight packing even for a 3-person version, which is great for hiking, biking or motorcycle trips.
- 3 seasons weatherproof
- Easy for one to set up
- Durable pentagonal construction
- Stakes, flysheet and carry bag included
- Mud mat drainage integrated
- Easy transportation
- The rain fly is pretty small
- Tight space for 3-person
Features & Specifications:
- This is a lightweight and portable camping tent (dome type) for 2 or 3 people
- Easy to set up the dome design, simpler to get it back into the bag
- Sealed seams and 2000mm coating ensure the waterproof interior
- The tent is made of premium materials like full fly sheet & Oxford flooring
- You will find cross-wound poles here, which improve strength & durability
- 2 large D frame doors and 2 mesh window panels enable cross ventilation inside the tent
- The 3-season tent offers you a covered entryway with wind responsive frame
- You will never find it difficult to trace your unique cool pattern tent among a hundred others
Chillbo CABBINS is a US-based company. Their primary motive was to create something different out of the same color drab schemes with tents. And real users often acknowledge that the cool color pattern is the main reason behind choosing the low-price backpacking tent.
Apart from its appealing appearance, Chillbo Cabbins 2-person tent is highly recommended for other stunning features as well. Its huge interior space is storm and waterproof. It uses 2000mm sealed seams and welded floor for ultimate weather protection. In fact, you will find the premium Oxford flooring, softer and luxurious for a tent.
This magnificent 3-season ready tent is enough spacious for 2 adult persons. But you can easily adjust for even 3, just need to maintain minimal gears inside. Its large size D doors ensure separate entry without disrupting your camping buddy. And above all, there are two mesh window panels that allow excellent cross breeze ventilation to maximize comfort inside your backpacking tent.
- Cool color patterns
- Lightweight & portable
- Huge interior space
- Wind & waterproof
- Great ventilation
- Large doors, Comfortable entry
- Low cost, lifetime warranty
- Not suitable for an air mattress
- Stitching needs to improve
Features & Specifications:
- Very lightweight, the full packed weight is not more than 3.8 pounds
- You can set up the tent as quick as within one minute for its two-hoop design
- It can be packed tightly into a very small size for backpacking
- The roof mesh is perfect for summertime ventilation
- While the full coverage rain fly is dedicated for rainy & colder nights
- There is a large zippered door for easy entry access
- 3 bundles of rope and 14 heavy duty stakes are included
This is the top-ranked among the Bivy tents available in the market in 2018. In other words, this is, in fact, the best lightweight choice for solo backpackers today. You will never find it hard to carry on your back for miles after miles.
Winterial Single Person Tent is comfortably 3-season ready. Though, I’d recommend this for summertime backpacking adventures only. Anyway, there is pre-sealed seams and re-enforced rainfly for weather protection. There is everything else you may need while outing. Easy entry doors, ventilation, comfort everything.
But you may not want to sit inside for a long time as it is a Bivy tent. That means the interior space is not very large for stretching out comfortably. That’s why you should pick this up for difficult long trek backpacking tours. Don’t forget to check out the different variations of this product before buying.
- Small packed, ultra lightweight
- Ideal for hiking
- Easy and quick setup
- Three seasons ready
- Portable yet durable
- Waterproof sealed interior
- Not spacious for a long time
- Chord & zipper quality needs improvement
Factors Regarding a Best Backpacking Tent Under 100
First of all, you must decide whether the tent is for spring, summer or falls. Most of the backpacking tents are available as two to three seasons ready. Four season tents are rare as they need to be designed for more extreme weathers like low temperature & snow. However, these heavier tents are not very suitable for carrying on your back. So, better look for a 3-season tent.
Very soon, be assured of your products price range. Because backpacking excitements also quite depend on affordability. I’ve already tried to compile all those top-notch tents that you can find on the very low budget available on the market. It’s really nice that some of the renowned top manufacturers have brought to you the less expensive yet great quality backpacking tents.
Ease of Setup
As backpacking tents are for adventurous solo trips, you may need to find those easy to set up tents for yourself. The free-standing and cross pole designs are recommended. you can just set these up within minutes.
As far as ‘backpacking’ considered, weight seems to be the most prior issue for backpackers. Why not, excess weight will genuinely ruin your backpacking adventure and outdoor fun. It’s only experienced experts, who know exactly that you are definitely going to throw out even the least possible worthless weight from your backpack for your second time hiking trip.
Well, from my point of view height is not that much important to consider while buying the best backpacking tent under 100 dollars. It’s totally up to you or maybe to your camping buddies. If you are comfortable with a reasonable height up to your mark, just carefully note down those parameters & go for your choice.
There actually two different size issues related to backpacking tents. The packed down size and the erected size. People often claim those the best backpacking tents that are smaller in size. I can completely agree to that if it certainly means the consumable packing space of my carry bag.
You should never forget that adverse weather may occur anytime unexpected. So, it is really crucial to check back the stability of your tent against strong and powerful winds. Some of those tents I’ve listed above are quite amazing to meet that purpose efficiently.
Interior & Exterior
Ask yourself a question, how exactly you want your tent to be looking like? Because there are various options with tremendous patterns and colors out there in the market. So, you may find your own good lucky choice, who knows. But the Interior is something more than to that. You may want to plan about inner organizations of your backpacking gears and other stuff.
There is another key factor that you need to consider while buying your best backpacking tent under 100 dollars. As you can easily understand the importance of frame for stability and durability of tents. Don’t go for cheap frame materials in exchange for other unnecessary features. You must explore the market before confirming a better-quality tent with a better-quality frame.
Remember that, steep-sided walls are good for larger headroom space inside the tent. Mostly the dome-shaped backpacking tents with cross over flexible poles can offer you the maximum comfortable head space. But don’t forget to find out the optimum size (30 square feet), as bigger dome tents may tend to be less stable. However, don’t sacrifice your comfort.
Vestibules are truly essential if you are planning for a camping trip, especially in the rainy conditions. This is actually the dumping station for your wet clothing, wet weather gear, and even for your dirty boots.
If it is a tent for a solo traveler, you may not need more than one door. But when you are sharing with someone else, usually two are better for entrance. Sometimes you will find compact tents under 100 dollars yet offering comfortable large D shaped doors. Try to find such a one for yourself.
Maybe, you’ve already figured that some of the backpacking tents I’ve listed above, are featuring their notable storage system. Some of you may consider, this is not a big deal. But when you are really into the wilder outdoor camping, this simple assembly will save your most important gears organization.
I recommend this is the most important issue regarding a comfortable & low budget backpacking tent. What do you think, what can be the most horrible experience with your tent in the wilderness? Whatever it is, believe me, most of them are sole because of your tents ventilation management. You must not like to find your stuff damp & wet after waking inside the backpacking tent. So, enroll much more time here in discovering the best ventilation for your best backpacking tent under 100 dollars.
This is another equally important factor to consider for your backpacking tent. Don’t just blindly trust the manufacturers claim. Sometimes they boldly focus on three-person sleeping capacity, while there is only comfortable space for two backpacking mates. So, you better ensure that correct size of your own.
This whole article is dedicated to that particular issue. Yes, of course, we need best of the best backpacking tents, yet get lucky enough at an affordable price. You need to make your mind about the maximum saturation of your budget, and gradually just check for the other queries you might look buying a backpacking tent for yourself.
What’s the point, if your long desired backpacking tent doesn’t last for a minimal accessible time period? Well, you definitely go for the nice features regarding your tent, but is it necessary to compromise durability just because of showcasing offers?
My advice, whatever design and feature you may choose for your 100-dollar tent, at first remark the parameter, durability. You really need to be careful, because lightweight tents use soft and breathable fabrics, which may eventually result in poor lasting.
Why backpacking tents?
Backpacking trips really are of great fun. You just need to be careful about the suitable travel gears and gadgets. And while the issue is trekking or hiking, you must switch for a lightweight version of your sleeping tent.
You can certainly face unexpected challenges in your camping tour. So, be prepared for your tent, so that it can withstand those various difficulties regarding night hold. When this is a matter of a family camping tour, you have the freedom to choose heavier tents that can provide protection and comfort for all the companions. But a backpacker is not allowed to that freedom.
Actually, the kind of tour he/she is going to make may need an extra lightweight version of all the possible gears including the tent. And backpacking tents are those especially customized accommodations that can fit such hectic journeys. Most of these tents are in fact found in very low budget affordability. Naturally, the adventurist is not always blessed with enormous funding.
Again, these exclusive tents offer lots of important features for the backpackers. First of all, they are very lightweight and compact in packed size. Still can provide comfortable space. Along with stability and durability, these tents are also the best of their kinds to accommodate cross wind ventilation. In fact, most of the backpacking tents are waterproof as you may need to camp during rainy conditions as well.
How to choose your right budget tent?
You may wonder, what’s the point of making the same topic twice? The factors I’ve already enlisted might be enough for a backpacker to decide for his/her best low budget tent. but I know that’s not that easy. Even after knowing all the necessary aspects you will definitely find yourself in the midst of indecision. So, let’s explain a personal way of my favorite to finally select a right budget tent.
You need to figure out, what exactly you expect your tent to provide you with. Actually, I want to mean that the best budget tent is not necessarily the right choice always for you. Who knows, you may differ from the common expectations, even my suggestions are only a mere guideline to your way.
Keeping in mind, those enlisted factors may help to know what important parameters are considered to most of the backpackers. You may get help narrow down your own preferences regarding that job. Remember, the right choice is right only for you, and that enough. It’s never meant to be the perfect one in all the possible aspects.
You need to evaluate your preference on peripheral features. Suppose, the quick setup freestanding design is your utmost desire. So, keeping fixed to that, go for the next query. Otherwise, make a better compensation with interior features that may comfort your outdoor nights. If you are well habituated with more traditional backpacking tents, you may not mind the extra work to set up.
Mostly, you need to stick to your needs regarding, size, features, and price while opting for the right budget tent for yourself.
FAQ when Buying $100 Backpacking Tents
- How to be assured, if the tent is ultraviolet rays protected?
Most of the quality backpacking tents usually tested before brought to the market. Read the specifications of your desired product carefully. There should be a dedicated coating on the body material for ultraviolet protection. If you are camping in a sunny environment, this is something very important to look after.
- How to get the waterproof backpacking tent?
Though the three season ready tents claim they are water and windproof, you can not just rely on them. Furthermore, you need to check yourself, what is the floor seams made of & is it sealed well. Mostly, the poly taffeta with 2000mm coating is used to serve well the purpose.
- What actually causes ventilation inside a tent?
From our household experience, we know that the doors and windows are mainly responsible for ventilation. These are actually true for backpacking tents too. But as you can’t find enough doors nor windows in a small tent surface, you need to look for the material type that allows ventilation. Mesh walls are what you can trust undoubtedly for comfortable ventilation inside your backpacking tent.
- What you must look before buying a backpacking tent?
There I’ve already discussed so many factors regarding a buying guide for the optimum backpacking tent under 100 dollars. But one thing more and that’s a must. Carefully notice, if your preferred product is not very new in the market, there should be a reasonable amount of reviews about the tent. you can easily trust those backpacking tents, which are already being used by a notable number of backpackers all over the world.
Well, the market is competitive. You can make an endless list of backpacking tents of your choice. But picking just one is a real tough job. Maybe you shouldn’t always look for the perfect tents, rather find one of your needs. And more fundamentally, don’t be confused about your affordable range.
I’ve tried my best to bring out the best for you. These tents are my recommendation according to various aspects you may need to consider. Hope, these informative reviews and their comparison will help you find your affordable and superior quality backpacking tent under 100 dollars.